We are back with our “Axie Infinity: Origin” guide! For this one, we’ll talk about one of the most important features introduced in version 3.0: Runes and Charms! These two items will play a huge part in your journey in Lunacia. It’s vital to learn their functions and how they’ll benefit you and your Axies.
To learn how to obtain and craft Runes and Charms, check out our Crafting Guide!
What Are Runes?
Runes are special items that can be attached to an Axie. Once attached, your Axies will be imbued with unique powers. You can only install 1 Rune per Axie, and it can be obtained through Crafting. Runes have a passive effect, meaning they automatically activate during battle.
Runes can only be installed attached to an Axie of a matching class, meaning plant runes can only be attached to plant Axies and so on. Some special Runes cannot be crafted, and can only be obtained through game modes and events.
What Are Charms?
Charms are special items that can be attached to an Axie card, giving them unique powers to enhance Axie Cards. Each card can only hold 1 Charm. Charms provide various enhancements, from increasing basic stats like DMG or HP to more powerful effects like reducing the card’s energy cost.
Class Charms can only be installed onto the abilities of a matching Class. However, Neutral Charms can be installed into any ability. Each Charm installed will decrease an Axie’s Potential Points.
Just like Runes, there are special Charms that exist that cannot be crafted and can only be obtained through various game modes and events.
Both Runes and Charms have different types and rarities:
- Class: Beast, Plant, Aqua, Bug, Reptile, Bird, Mech, Dusk, Dawn, and Neutral.
- Rarity from lowest to highest: Common, Rare, Epic, and Mystic.
What Are Potential Points?
Potential Points are the points that an Axie receives by default for having specific body parts. The potential points that an Axie has can be used for equipping Charms. Here’s what you should know:
- An Axie’s Potential Points are derived from its body parts. Potential Points belong to specific classes based on the related body part. For example, reptile body parts grant reptile potential points.
- A Charm will require Potential Points of a matching class.
- Charms will reduce an Axie’s Potential Points when they’re allocated. When removed, the used points will be freed up.
- A Charm’s Potential Point cost can be seen at the top left of the Charm.
- Since Neutral Charms can be installed onto any ability, they will reduce the Potential Points of the card’s Class onto which they’re installed. For example, installing a neutral charm into a plant card will reduce the Axie’s Plant potential points.
Axie can gain more Potential Points with the Pureness Bonus. If an Axie has three or more body parts of the same Class, it will gain bonus Potential Points of that Class. Do take note that the body of Axie itself is considered 1 part of the pureness bonus.
For example, if an Axie has six Reptile parts and one Bird part. Its Potential Points will be:
- 1×1 (Bird part) + 0 (Pureness bonuses) = 1 Bird Potential Points
- 1×6 (Reptile part) + 6 (Pureness bonuses) = 12 Reptile Potential Points
Number of matching class body parts and the Pureness bonus they receive:
|Number of matching Class body parts||1||2||3||4||5||6||7|
Non-NFT and NFT Runes And Charms
Non-NFT Runes and Charms will always be Neutral and untradeable, while NFT Runes can be traded on the Marketplace. These runes will have specific Classes. Do take note that NFT Runes and Charms will only be available in later versions of “Axie Infinity: Origin.”
Seasonal & Nonseasonal Runes And Charms
In every new season, new Seasonal Runes and Charms will be added to the game. There are also Nonseasonal Runes, but they will rarely be added. With every new season, some older Seasonal Runes will be retired, while Nonseasonal Runes will never be retired.
Do take note that Nonseasonal Runes will be weaker than Seasonal runes. Deprecated Runes and Charms cannot be crafted or used in battle but can still be kept in your collection.
We hope that this guide helps you understand Runes and Charms more as they are definitely one of the most important features in “Origin.” To learn more about “Axie Infinity: Origin” check out more of our beginner’s guides.