“Axie Infinity” has been built from the ground up with brand new interface game mechanics, art style, special effects, storylines, and an expansive onboarding experience. But hold up, Axie Infinity is dropping something special very soon – Battles V3, better known as “Axie Infinity: Origin.”
What’s it all about? Here’s what you need to know before it goes live.
Take note that these upcoming features are not completely finalized. Changes may happen in the future.
Alpha Release Plans
Sky Mavis plans an initial Alpha launch for Origin where they will make the game available to everyone globally via the Mavis Hub and Android devices. During the Alpha phase, they will gather player feedback to further refine the game before its official release.
There will be no SLP or AXS rewards available during this period and all player progress and accumulated resources will reset when the game fully launches.
After the Alpha phase, Season 0 will launch, which will allow Sky Mavis to make core updates based on player feedback. Depending on how the Alpha phase goes, Battles V2 may shut down, and earning SLP will transition to Battles V3. Otherwise, Battles V2 will keep running in parallel with V3 until the game is ready for the transition.
Axie Infinity: Origins New Game Mechanics
- Sequential Turns – Axies will now execute their attacks immediately as cards are played. Opposing trainers will take sequential turns using their cards versus choosing them simultaneously at the beginning of a phase (current gameplay). Trainers will now be in constant action, either playing their cards or carefully observing their opponent’s moves.
- Reset Energy & Cards Each Turn – Unused Energy and Cards will no longer accumulate across turns by default during battle, so Trainers will have less incentive to skip turns and not use up their Energy / Cards.
- Card Changes – Cards will now have either an attack or a defense value, rather than carrying both (battles V2). Some cards will have newly described abilities but they will still be consistent.
- Eyes & Ears – There will now also be all-new cards that relate to an Axie’s eyes and ears, so the meta combinations have increased significantly.
- Power-Ups: Runes & Charms – Runes and Charms are new power-ups introduced in Origin. They are equipped by your Axies and will provide various buffs. Where runes give new passive powers to Axies, charms are wearables that enhance an Axie’s inherent abilities!
To craft these power-ups, Trainers will need to earn off-chain resources called Moonshards from winning battles. Runes and charms will be rolled out incrementally. Initially, non-NFT Runes and Charms can be crafted using Moonshards, and over time, more powerful NFT-based Charms and Runes will be introduced.
NFT-based Charms and Runes will require both SLP and Moonshards to craft; this will be one of the initial SLP burning mechanisms incorporated into Origin. Each Season’s Runes and Charms will be removed from the gameplay in the subsequent Season, which means that Trainers will need to continuously be on the hunt to upgrade their Axie.
However, deprecated Runes and Charms can be disenchanted to harvest back crafting resources. Trainers can also collect rare and unique legacy Runes and Charms.
- Critical Hits are no longer the “Rage” – Random critical hits have been removed from Origin gameplay. However, the game will introduce new above-card play mechanics such as “rage,” which Axies accumulate over the course of a battle.
- Simplified Axie Stats – Origin is moving towards a strong focus on a fast, turn-based game design therefore in Origin, Axies now simply have hit points (HP).
Starter Axies – Starter Axies are not NFTs, and players cannot earn SLP from using them. However, Trainers will be able to earn access to even more starter Axies as they progress in the PvE Adventure Mode. Players will be able to use these Axies in PvP as well, but if they want to get a larger variety of Axie team compositions they’ll have to pick up some NFT-based Axies from the Marketplace!
Tutorials & Unlocks – Successful play of the game will progressively unlock different features in the game as Trainers progress through the PvE Adventure. There will also be a number of tutorials provided to better explain different parts of the gameplay. Tutorials will be able to be revisited anytime just in case a Trainer wants to review them later!
There is so much interest and excitement surrounding the arrival of “Axie Infinity: Origins.” This really could be a game changer. What do you think?